About The Tech
The Tech has been established with the downtown core to foster a sense of community and enhance the quality of life through the education and development of programs and activities that are geared towards recent graduates and individuals in our community in search of a new vocation. Located in an accessible area, The Tech houses tenants from the arts, athletics and trade sectors who will provide comprehensive training to individuals desiring to learn and refine practical skills that will give them a competitive advantage in the future employment.
“To foster a sense of community and enhance the quality of life through the development, encouragement and support of programs and activities responsive to local needs.”
History of Building
In 1909 it was decided that Sault Ste. Marie Ontario needed a technical training program. In 1922 the Sault technical and Commercial High School was established.
In 1969, the school changed from purely a technical and commercial school to a composite school. The name also changed from Sault Technical and Commercial High School to Lakeway Collegiate and Vocational School.
In 1987 the school was closed and given over to the Separate School Board.
From 1909-1969 the school was known as the Sault Technical and Commercial High School. In 1969, the school’s programming was broadened and it became Lakeway Collegiate and Vocational School until 1987.
In 2012, the Huron Superior Catholic District School Board approved a plan to build a New St. Mary’s College. To be located at the corner of Second Line East and Pine Streets, the new school will amalgamate the current St. Mary’s College, St. Basil’s Secondary School and Holy Angels Learning Centre. In September 2015 the NEW St. Mary’s College was opened.
The previous St. Mary’s College building was purchased in July 2015 by local entrepreneur’s and named The Tech in September 2015. It will be opened as an Academy of Arts, Athletics and Trades.
1922 – 1969: Sault Technical and Commercial High School
1969 – 1987: Lakeway Collegiate and Vocational School
1987 – 2015: St. Mary’s College
2015 – Present: The Tech (an Academy of Arts, Athletics and Trades)